I am now a spender!! I can't help but buy things. Although thankfully I have actually learnt a great deal through the Flipping Thrift challenge.

Monday 18 October 2010

Make friends not debts...

I certainly could not avoid retail in NY so I decided to treat it like visiting a gallery. I suggest you try this too, especially visit the best of the best. So what if you can’t afford the $8,000 dress or the $6,000 dinner set, if you’re not buying you can certainly look, admire and appreciate.

Bergdorf Goodman was my first stop. Instead of scouting out the latest fashion on the floors below I tripped up to the 7th floor to admire the home collection. There in front of me stood a divine individual dressed impeccably in his Italian wool check suit - introducing Joseph. Joseph and I began conversing in fashion passion jargon of all the things we loved. I had so much fun and I don’t even feel sad not to have bought anything. I have a new friend instead!!

Joseph tags his suit an investment piece, not doubting for a second that the initial outlay had not paid for itself. I can’t recall how often Joseph has donned his suit but I know for sure that the lovely crafted shoes are five years old, with one resole job they are still going strong. Joseph loves his shoes so much that he is proud to tell their five year tale.

On a non fashion note Joseph introduced me to a talented photographer and heirloom jewellery designer, Monica Rich Kosann. I am in awe of her family photography, it’s so engaging and charming. http://www.monicarichkosann.com/photography/

2 comments:

  1. I love this idea! So I am going to start to see my favourite stores as a contemporary fashion gallery! Great! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - its fantastic and there is no pressure on yourself to buy something even if you absolutely love it - just love it and leave!! Let me know how you get on xx

    ReplyDelete